The Roma Independent Film Festival (RIFF) is Rome 's first independent and international film festival. Its aim is to unite enthusiasm for films and filmmaking among young filmmakers with the realities of film production and distribution. The main aims of the Association are:
- To create better international distribution opportunities for independent films excluded from the major distributors;
- To create a lively and mutually beneficial point of contact between new or underrepresented European filmmakers and established industry professionals;
- To provide a platform for young people with a passion for filmmaking; to inspire and help them communicate issues effectively; and stimulate discussion among audience members and fellow filmmakers alike.
RIFF is a seven-day celebration of new European and international independent films. As well as offering the chance for young filmmakers to present their work to the general public at film screenings, RIFF offers a series of special events designed to stimulate enthusiasm and create discussion: retrospectives, seminars and workshops on various aspects of cinema, as well as exhibitions, collaborations with theatre, dance, fashion, and music concerts. In order to encourage and assist filmmakers in their endeavours, the festival concludes with an awards ceremony, The RIFF Awards, which awards prizes of either monetary value or money in-kind. The winning films, in a number of categories, are chosen by an international jury of experts from various fields within the film industry.
In addition to film competitions there is competition for screenplays, where you can submit your work.
- BEST FEATURE FILM AWARD. RIFF AWARD FOR BEST FOREIGN FEATURE FILM. Distribution Award: to promote the distribution of independent international works, the winner will be programmed at the Nuovo Cinema Aquila.
- BEST ITALIAN FILM. RIFF Award for Best National Feature Film.
- Distribution Award: to promote the distribution of independent international works, the winner will be programmed by Distribuzione Indipendente
- NEW VISION AWARD. The New Visions Award as usual, will be assigned on the base of creative engagement in the independent filmmaking field.
- BEST DOCUMENTARY
- BEST NATIONAL DOCUMENTARY. RIFF Award for best national documentary
- BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY. RIFF Award for best international documentary.
- BEST SHORT FILM.
- BEST ITALIAN SHORT FILM RIFF. Award for Best Italian Short film
- BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM. RIFF Award for Best International Short Film
- BEST STUDENTS SHORT FILM. RIFF Award for best short film made by students of cinematic arts schools
- ANIMATION. RIFF Award for Best Short Animation film.
- Augustus Color Award
- BEST SCREENPLAY
- COMPETITION FOR FEATURE FILM SCREENPLAY. RIFF Award for best screenplay for feature film.
- SHORT FILM SCREENPLAY COMPETITION. RIFF Award for Best Screenplay for short film.
- STORY SCREENPLAY COMPETITION. RIFF Award for best story.
- Films must have been completed after December 2019.
- Running time for all feature length films must be no less than 52 minutes. Running time for all short films must be no more then 52 minutes.
- Films/videos must not have received worldwide network television distribution or WEB (including cable and PAY-TV). Competitive entries must not have commercial distribution in Italy to be eligible.
Selection Media Type: online
Screening Media Type: Blu-Ray (region free), DCP, HD, 3D
Audio language: original
Subtitles language: English and/or Italian
National premiere required.
Jury and Organizers